Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 28, 2011

In The Valley - Part 1

I awoke from what seemed a very troubling dream.  It was so dark and still as though it were the middle of the night.  I could see nothing but inky darkness at first.  Then my eyes begin to adjust.  I saw strange shapes shifting in the darkness.

 It seemed that the shapes were whispering, "get her, get her, get her!".

 I know they are coming for me.  My body shivers as my blood runs cold with fear. I shrink back from the edge of the plateau that I had awaken on.  How did I get here?  

 I try to throw rocks at the shifting shapes and I actually land a few good hits.  It seems to be working as they shrink back from me.  I watch in horror as the first one that I hit suddenly multiplies into two more.  I look for the others that I had hit and see they are multiplying also.  I cannot defeat the growing hoard.  I must get away. 

  I look about for a way to escape, any way.  All I see is dark shadows.  Are there any opening in this rocky valley.  There must be a way out.  How did I get here?  I close my eyes.  I listen, sniff the air, feel the shift in the air on my skin.  There a very slight breeze tickling the top of my head.  I look up and there in the distance is a dark depression.  Could that be a way out.

  I stand up being careful to stay out of reach of the shifters (that what I decided to call them).  I try to reach up to pull myself up to the depression but I am not tall enough.  I see a branch protruding from the side of the rock face next to the depression.  Now if I can just find something to pull myself up to it.  The whispers are getting louder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments here: